Friday, July 17, 2009

Cyber Launch Party Day 5: The Ballad of Wendy Toliver

Welcome to Day 5 of the Ballads of Suburbia Cyber Launch Party! For all of the details on the party including guests, the daily contests and the grand prize drawing be sure to read the information at the beginning of Day 1's blog.

I think the first week of the Cyber Launch has been a blast. And if you haven't checked out the other ballads please do so over the weekend and leave a comment because each day a prize was put up for grabs and the contests are ending soon.

Here's our week in review:

Day 1: I blogged and up for grabs is a signed copy of Ballads of Suburbia and the Ballads soundtrack. Deadline Monday 7/20

Day 2: Cecil Castellucci and up for grabs is her book Beige. Deadline Tuesday 7/21

Day 3: Tara Kelly and up for for grabs is her song Protector. Deadline Wednesday 7/22

Day 4: Sara Hantz and up for grabs is her book The Second Virginity of Suzy Green. Deadline Thursday 7/23

So enter, enter, enter and win!

Before we meet today's guest (and get to today's contest). I have a couple other cool things to tell you about:

For one, Amazon is now shipping Ballads, which I guess means it is basically out. So you can order from them here. Or if you'd rather order a *signed* copy, find out about that here.

Just Your Typical Book Blog reviewed Ballads kindly here.

And last but probably coolest of all, the author Diana Rodriguez Wallach is running a very cool contest to introduce her character Madam Colbert to Stephen Colbert. You can find out all about it on her blog here or by viewing her fabulous YouTube video. Enter her contest, which runs through July 24. she has some great prizes!

Now, today's guest blogger is author Wendy Toliver.


Wendy Toliver is the author of The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren, Miss Match, and the upcoming Lifted (all Simon Pulse). She lives in the Utah mountains with her husband, three little boys, and other various critters. Visit her at wendytoliver.com, pulserocom.com, and teenfictioncafe.blogspot.com.

Here's Wendy's ballad:

I was a junior in high school, and I’d already been accepted at Colorado State University, which was roughly an hour away from where I grew up (in the Denver ‘burbs). Naturally, I had the itch to visit my future college town whenever possible. My parents didn’t want my best friend and me to drive there on our own, but they finally agreed to let us take the bus. So we scrambled to the back of the dingy bus with our cassette walkmans and coordinated Gapling outfits, our eyes sparkling as we headed off to whatever adventures awaited us. When "Somebody" by Depeche Mode came on, it was as if we were on a stage with the light beaming on us and we didn’t care one bit that people were staring at us as we passionately belted out every beautiful word. It was the perfect song for us at that point in our lives because we were both waiting impatiently for that special guy to sweep us off our feet. The lyrics are romantic and sappy, yet smart and willful. I swear, as we held hands and crooned in the back of the bus that day, I had tears in my eyes. And to this day, whenever I hear “Somebody,” I stop whatever I’m doing and remember what it was like to be seventeen and in love with the idea of falling in love.

Here's Somebody by Depeche Mode:


Today's Contest:

Wendy was kind enough to offer her book, MISS MATCH, as prize today. To enter just leave a comment about Wendy's ballad. What song defined a moment of moving on to a new place for you? Or do you have a favorite Depeche Mode song? I discovered DM when I was 10 with my best friend at the time Myco. Myco moved away after fifth grade, but People Are People will always remind me of her and be one of my fave Depeche Mode songs.

And you'll earn additional entries by blogging/tweeting/etc about this blog or the cyber launch party. Just note your additional entries in your comment. Winner will be chosen at random on Friday, July 24.

Monday's Guest:

On Monday, one of my dearest author friends, Alexa Young, author of the Frenemies series will be kicking of my release week with one of the most powerful and intense ballads I was given. Seriously it made me cry. It's beautiful. So be sure to come back next week for it!

15 comments:

little miss gnomide said...

Road trips and music go together so well.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

No need to enter me, ladies. I'm dropping in to say I've got this posted at Win a Book.

And congratulations, Stephanie, on the book being shipped!

Diana Dang said...

Hmm, I have never landed on a song that is perfect for moving to a new environment. I have been living in the same home for almost 10 years!

I have linked on my blog!

marina said...

what would a road trip be without music? other than really quiet. music makes it much more fun.

marina said...

i facebook status-ed about the launch party.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1021142312&ref=profile
and i'm not leaving my email anymore since i think i'm the only bean here. haha.
~bean.

Pam said...

Just Can't Get Enough has always been my favourite Depeche Mode song. My road trip song that will forever transport me is "Courage" by The Tragically Hip.

melacan at hotmail dot com

Llehn said...

I heard Somebody when I met my husband so you can say that that is our anthem. My roadtrip song would be Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne because it's so upbeat and wicked and fun!

Lori T said...

I do not think specific songs so much when I think of certain times in my life (although a certain song can immediately trigger different memories), but I think of types of music. This will absolutely date me, but pretty much the 80's hair bands make me think of my teenage years, and groups like AFI and Alkaline Trio make me think of my two oldest daughters and the fun trips we have taken to see these groups. It also makes me appreciate how music can and does draw people together.

MJ said...

I don't have a favorite. I listen to odlies from the '70s on road trips!!

mj.coward[at]gmail.com

runningforfiction said...

discovering the Dresden Dolls helped me move on after my best friend moved away when i was 10..

~robby
runningforamsterdam@hotmail.com

What a Girl Reads said...

Aah, that's a cute story! I love having strong memories to special songs.

DeNiSe MaDnEsS said...

I really enjoy lising to the classic music from the 70 80 and 90 just driving is so much fun

i posted about this contest
http://sweettreatsread.blogspot.com/
Please ENter me

MoziEsmé said...

I miss those days of expecting some guy to actually sweep you off your feet - expectations were so high!

donnas said...

Great post. When I moved to Chicago, I liked to listen to Lake Shore Drive. And now when I hear it I remember when I lived there.

Lilibeth Ramos said...

I'll take the first question literally and say that Viva La Vida by Cold Play, helped me through the move from my hometown to what-might-as-well-be a 'burb in Kentucky. We actually drove with our own funiture from Miami, FL to Louisville, KY. Guess what I was listening to on my ipod the whole way there? I'm more of a city girl to I'm happy to be back in Miami.

posted link to my sidebar about Cyber Launch Party: http://lilibethramos.blogspot.com

lilibethramos@live.com