Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Women Who Rock Wednesday; The Thanksgiving Edition

I figured today would be the perfect day to discuss the Women Who Rock that we are thankful for. It will be a nice way for me to share the women I really admire with you, even those who I may not be able to secure an interview with and for you to share those you admire with me, giving me an opportunity to discover more new female artists to feature. To entice you to comment, of course I will offer a prize. I'm really into mix CDs as of late so it will be a mix of my favorite songs performed by women. One of the songs will be by last week's guest, Jenny Hassler of heilige, and before we continue on, I should announce the lucky winner of her CD! That would be... Liviania from blogger. I believe I have your addy, but send it to me again anyway so I can pass it on to Jenny please!

Okay, so now, on to the thanking!

First off I am thankful for all the fine ladies who have done Women Who Rock Wednesday so far as well as those that I featured on Women Who Rock Week when IWBYJR first came out. I am going to list these women below with links to their interviews so if you missed any, you can check them out and then add their art to your holiday wish lists! Please note that many of these women do multiple forms of art, but I am listing them by the art form they are most known for

Author Hillary Carlip

Filmmaker Jessy Bender

Musician Tamra Spivey of Lucid Nation


Author Jolene Siana (who I am reading with on Monday December 1st at 7 pm with Joe Meno and Chris Connelly at the Book Cellar at 4736 N. Lincoln in Chicago, all ages, please come see us!)

Author Laura Wiess

Author Carrie Borzillo-Vrenna

Musician Mandi Perkins

Author Rebecca Woolf

Designer Alyse Frank

Musician Mia Zapata of The Gits

Musicians Civet

Author Cecil Castellucci

Artist Liz Adams

Musician Deborah Frost

Fictional Musicians Emily Black and Regan Parker (that was a fun one!)

Author Kelly Parra

Musician Brenna Red of Last Gang USA

Musician Melissa Auf der Maur

Musician Jenny Hassler

And I am thankful in advance for Author Paula Yoo who will be my guest next week. Paula's book Good Enough is totally amazing and as geek girl it made me feel really empowered.

Here are some other women I am personally really thankful for. I'm listing ten, but they aren't in any special order.

1. Musician Courtney Love
2. Author Francesca Lia Block
3. Author Melissa Marr
4. Musician Brody Dalle of the Distillers
5. Actress Winona Ryder (people tell me, I look and sound like her and I take it as a huge compliment because I used to try to do my bangs like hers in Beetlejuice)
6. Poet Sylvia Plath
7. Musician Joan Jett
8. Screenwriter Diablo Cody
9. Designer Stella McCartney (gotta love her vegan fashion)
10. Musicians Sleater-Kinney (wouldn't have my book title without these ladies)

These are all big names who I probably couldn't land interviews with, but who knows (well except for Sylvia unless someone wants to help me do a Ouija Board interview). And as usual I mostly know musicians and actresses. Please share the names of the women you are thankful for and who knows I may try to do a WWRW feature on them. And help me diversify, turn me on to some female artists, designers, actresses, dancers, atheletes, or just cool kick-ass ladies.

I will choose a random commentor to win my Women Who Rock mix CD next Wednesday when we are visited by the fabulous Paula Yoo!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and if you are doing pre-Thanksgiving drinking tonight, remember to tip your hardworking bartender well! (Yeah, I'm working tonight and would much rather be on the other side of the bar with the rest of you!)

2 comments:

Paradox said...

Cecil Castellucci + Kelly Parra + Melissa Marr = Awesome!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Liviania said...

Definitely a list of women who rock! Who to add . . .

Musician Michelle Schocked
Author Tamora Pierce
Author Megan Whalen Turner
Designer Betsey Johnson
Designer Anna Sui

I know there's more but my brain isn't working today!