Wednesday, February 20, 2008

MTV Books Blog and Happy B'Day Kurt Cobain


I blogged at the MTV Books Blog today about sending off my second manuscript and other things I have trouble letting go of. Visit me there and comment.

And I also just have to mention that today is Kurt Cobain's birthday. Nirvana is my all time favorite band and Kurt Cobain is one of the key people that inspired me back as a geeky junior high kid to embrace my weirdness and find my voice so I have to pay tribute to him every once in awhile :) Of course my greatest written tribute is an essay on freshyarn.com and today is a good day to check out that essay if you've never read it.

Also for those of you who are Nirvana/Kurt fans, I don't know if you are familiar with the documentary Kurt Cobain: About A Son, but it is available on DVD now. I had the privilege of seeing this at the Seattle International Film Festival last summer. It is basically gorgeous imagery of the three main places Kurt spent his life, Aberdeen, Olympia and Seattle, Washington and then all of this audio footage that Michael Azzerad had from doing interviews with Kurt for his biography Come As You Are. So you get to see the place where Kurt was from while listening to him talk about his life, his art, and his views. Since Kurt Cobain is such a legendary figure his life and art has been analyzed and theorized about by everybody, and it's refreshing to hear him discuss it all in his own words. Of course it's also haunting to hear his voice and makes you miss him. But it's a unique take on Nirvana and Cobain and the cinematography is absolutely breathtaking, especially for someone like me who loves the Pacific Northwest. Oh and the soundtrack? Totally awesome. I feel like it's a mix tape that Kurt himself might make. I've been listening to it today in his honor.

2 comments:

Melissa Walker said...

Jocelyn posted your freshyarn link in my comments section, and I just got a chance to read it. Wow. I really loved it. You and I are about the same age, so it's interesting to hear your perspective on that day. I remember being in the car with my dad listening to NPR announce that Kurt Cobain was dead, and then my dad asking me why there were tears running down my face.

Stephanie Kuehnert said...

Thanks Melissa. It definitely was a day that so many people around our age will remember with such detail. Your memory is a very powerful moment, thank you for sharing it with me.