Friday, March 13, 2009

Upcoming Events in Gurnee and Chicago

Just a quick note to let you all know that I'm doing two events that I'm really excited about in the next couple days.

This Saturday (3/14) at 2 pm, I will be reading/discussing/signing IWBYJR at Warren Newport Public Library, 224 N. O'Plaine Rd in Gurnee, IL. It's a looooong drive for me so I hope anyone in the area will come out and visit.

Then on Tuesday (St. Paddy's Day 3/17) at 6 pm, I am honored to be reading at the Harold Washington Library (400 S. State) in Chicago as a part of Story Week's Nelson Algren tribute. It's hosted by Nelson Algren-award winner Joe Meno (a former professor of mine who is totally my hero). There will be readings by J. Adams Oaks, Why I Fight; Bayo Ojikutu, Free Burning; and Billy Lombardo, The Logic of a Rose. There will also be a conversation with Nelson Algren photographer, Art Shay, and filmmaker Michael Caplan will show a clip from Algren, his upcoming documentary. Book signing to follow.

Um my book doesn't really have anything to do with Algren, but it's a celebration of Chicago writing and I'm hugely excited to be a part of it and reading at the Harold Washington Library which is kinda a rock star moment for me, not to mention being part of Story Week is huge for me. It feels kinda poetic because I met my agent at Story Week in 2005 and as you know she was a huge champion of IWBYJR and now she is back for Story Week this year and I'm part of it and she'll get to see me read and I just imagine it's going to be a nice moment for both of us, so I hope you'll come and be a part of it if you can.

Now off to do less pleasant things... The thing I've been dreading for months.... Taxes.... I have a feeling I really should have hired someone for this but seeing as I'm broke... Sigh. I guess I'll just slog through.

No comments: