Monday, March 30, 2009

GCC Presents: April Henry

I'm thrilled to interview April Henry today as part of her Girlfriends Cyber Circuit tour for her amazing new novel, TORCHED. I seriously can't wait to get my hands on this book because it sounds right up my alley. Here's what TORCHED is all about:

When Ellie’s parents are busted for growing marijuana, the FBI gives her a choice: infiltrate the Mother Earth Defenders (MED), a radical environmental group, or her parents will go to jail. At first Ellie is more than willing to entrap the MEDics, but the more time she spends undercover—particularly with Coyote, the green-eyed MEDic that she can’t stop thinking about—the more she starts to believe in their cause. When talk turns to murder, Coyote backs out, but Ellie is willing to risk everything to save her family—even if it means losing Coyote and putting her own life on the line.

And here's the dirt on April:

April Henry knows how to kill you in a two-dozen different ways. She makes up for a peaceful childhood in an intact home by killing off fictional characters. April had one detour on her path to destruction: when she was 12 she sent a short story about a six-foot tall frog who loved peanut butter to noted children's author Roald Dahl. He liked it so much he arranged to have it published in an international children's magazine.

By the time she was in her 30s, April had come to terms with her childhood and started writing about hit men, drug dealers, and serial killers. She has published six mysteries and thrillers, with five more under contract. Her books have gotten starred reviews, been on Booksense (twice!), translated into four languages, short-listed for the Oregon Book Award, and chosen as a Quick Pick by the American Library Association.

April writes for both teens and adults. This month Face of Betrayal will be published. It’s the first in a new series for adult mystery series co-written with FOX legal anaylst Lis Wiehl.

To find out more about April, you can also visit her website or blog, but today I've got an interview with here!

Q: Please list five songs that would be on the soundtrack to your book and explain how they relate to your story or characters.

April: Blitzen Trapper –Furr – the importance of belonging
Recognition - Susie Suh - longing
Combat Rock - Sleater-Kinney - defiance against the state
My doorbell - White Stripes - anticipation
Black Dove - Tori Amos - feeling trapped

Q: Name some of your main character's favorite musicians or bands.

April: Flogging Molly, The Shins, Blitzen Trapper, Sea Wolf, The Dodos, Johnny Flynn, the Decemberists,

Q: Who are some of your favorite musicians or bands?

April: Elvis Costello. Beth Orton. Dirty Martini. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Pink. Bruce Springsteen. Tori Amos.

Q: Even though music plays in so heavily into my storytelling, I rarely can actually listen to it while I'm writing. Can you? How does music fit into your writing process?

April: I often listen to music played very low. So low that I can listen to the same CD three or four times in a row without minding. But I do mind the silence. Sometimes music makes me want to write, especially if the songwriter is a good storyteller. Have you ever heard Robin Holcomb? Her songs are stories.

Q: While music is my muse, I know other writers find their muse in theater, sports, art, the great outdoors, etc. What is your main muse?

April: When I run, I often think about what I’m writing, and sometimes come up with great ideas.

I've got to mention that as soon as she mentioned Combat Rock by Sleater Kinney, I was sold. Well that and the whole premise of the book :) And I'm going to check out Robin Holcomb right now!

To further whet your appetite for TORCHED, here is a video trailer for it:



I'm looking forward to reading this one, how about you?

1 comment:

Heather said...

I definitely am going to keep my eye out for this book.