Saturday, September 20, 2008

Tattoos, Lies, and Linda Gerber!

If you want to see the finished version of my IWBYJR that I started and blogged about back in June, go to the MTV Books Blog where I am showing it off today.

Also as a part of Linda Gerber's cyber extravaganza for the release of her book, DEATH BY LATTE, I guest-blogged on her blog today about a noble lie that I would have told for a friend. Go here to read about my sordid past and if you comment, you'll be eligible to win a signed copy of I WANNA BE YOUR JOEY RAMONE.

You will want to check out the rest of the extravaganza on Linda's blog or MySpace, too because tons of authors are dishing about the lies they've told and by commenting, you can win copies of their books and daily prize packages and become eligible to win the grand prize which includes a signed copy of DEATH BY LATTE, a custom-made latte mug, assorted gift cards and Seattle swag. Then I will be highly jealous of you because you know I want all the Seattle swag I can get! Here is the awesome video party invite that Linda put together which has more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyPLaBfQceE





I am also excited to host Linda Gerber and her book DEATH BY LATTE as a part of the Girlfriends Cyber Circuit tour today!!! Linda's DEATH BY series looks like so much fun and with this book being set in Seattle, well you know it is going on the top of my TBR pile! So here is some more information about it!

Following on the heels of this summer’s killer YA mystery, DEATH BY BIKINI, DEATH BY LATTE is a modern-day romantic mystery/suspense in the tradition of Victoria Holt and Philippa Carr.

Aphra Connolly, who had been living a quiet existence on her father’s secluded island resort, until Seth Mulo turns up and steals her heart… and provides information that leads her to find her mom in Seattle. But the reunion isn’t quite what she expected. Aphra’s mom, Natalie, doesn’t seem happy to see Aphra, and Natalie’s boyfriend, Joe, insists that Aphra go home. Even worse, Seth shows up, only to ask her to return the ring he had given her that summer. At least Natalie’s good-looking neighbor is sympathetic. But when Joe is found dead at a nearby coffee shop, Aphra discovers her whole trip to Seattle has been based on a lie. And now someone just might be trying to kill her. . . .

And here is the scoop on author Linda Gerber who you can visit at www.lindagerber.com:
Linda recently returned to life in the Midwest after four years in Japan, where she served as the Regional Advisor for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. She currently lives and writes in Dublin, OH, blissfully ignoring her husband, four kids, and one very naughty puppy.

Of course, I got more in depth with Linda, asking her my usual q's for the Girlfriends Cyber Circuit:

Q:
Please list five songs that would be on the soundtrack to your book and explain how they relate to your story or characters.

Linda:
Evenflow by Pearl Jam and Lithium by Nirvana because the action takes place in Seattle and these are great Seattle bands.
All Around Me by Flyleaf because the lyrics express so perfectly what Aphra would be feeling.
Here I Stand by Madina because it sounds like Aphra missing Seth.
Check Yes Juliet by We the Kings. These lyrics are so perfect. Especially:
"Run, baby, run
Don't ever look back.
They'll tear us apart
If you give them the chance."

Q: Name some of your main character's favorite musicians or bands.

Linda: Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Amy Winehouse

Q: Name some of your favorite musicians or bands.

Linda:
The Doors, Seal, The Beatles, Moody Blues, Santana

Q: Even though music plays in so heavily into my storytelling, I rarely can actually listen to it while I'm writing. Can you? How does music fit into your writing process?

Linda: I listen to music when I'm researching and before I start writing to help set the mood, but I can't write with music playing, either. I want to sing along that tends to be a bit distracting.

Linda: While music is my muse, I know other writers find their muse in theater, sports, art, the great outdoors, etc. What is your main muse?

Q: Nature. I like to be outside or at least sit by the windows overlooking the woods in our backyard when I'm at home. If I could, I'd go to the mountains or to the beach every day to sit and write. That would be heaven.

Yeah, me too, Linda. We should start a writer's colony. And seeing as Aphra and I have the same favorite band (Nirvana), I'll be delving into the DEATH BY series ASAP!

11 comments:

sweetmelissa818 said...

Old school music tastes I see, Linda. Sounds fun!

Liviania said...

Those music choices aren't too old school . . . plus, they're all very good.

Anonymous said...

Awesome interview. All Around Me is such an amazing song- I love reading about authors' musical tastes :)

ellie said...

Thanks for those lovely music choices. Enjoyed them and the interview.

Anonymous said...

I think music is my muse...

nadine said...

Check Yes Juliet by We the Kings is a pretty cool song. now i just need to check out the rest of the band.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Love the music choices, especially for the songs that would be on the soundtrack. very nice!

-lauren

Breanna said...

Great music choices Linda! I especially like "Check Yes Juliet" by We the Kings. I looooooove that song. It makes me happy. For some reason it always comes on when I'm taking a shower. No idea what that means, lol.

-Breanna

Anonymous said...

We The Kings, Flyleaf and Madina are some of my fave bands. Looks like we have the same taste in music. I like the other songs but those are my faves.

Anonymous said...

When I am attempting to write a story and get writer's block, one of the few things that can get me started again is music.

Book Sp(l)ot said...

Applebees made me happy by playing a Nirvana song today...it made me realise I haven't listened to them enough recently

-Lucile