Friday, December 4, 2009

GCC Presents: Debbie Rigaud!

One of my girlfriends from the Girlfriends Cyber Circuit has a new book out! That would be Debbie Rigaud with her book PERFECT SHOT!

Have you heard about it yet? Well if not, here is what PERFECT SHOT is about!

Synopsis:
What’s the wackiest thing you’ve ever done after a crush attack?

High school athlete London Abrams is more likely to spike a volleyball than wear spike heels. Yet in one crush-tastic moment, she signs up for a modeling contest as an excuse to meet the photo intern Brent St. John. But instead of getting a call back from Brent, London gets a call back from contest judges! Now she’s in a fierce modeling competition feeling out way of her league, and Brent’s camera is zoomed in to document everything. Suddenly, London’s not feeling so ready for her close up.

Back Cover Copy:
London Abram’s first love is volleyball, so why does she enter an online modeling competition? Answer: superhottie Brent St. John. London spots Brent signing in contestants at a store, and she gets in line simply to say hi. But she never dreams she’ll make it into the competition!

London’s now up against fourteen hungry fashionistas willing to do whatever it takes to win. All she wants to win is Brent’s heart…but the money prize couldn’t hurt. If London plays this right, she can win the contest, the boy, and the cash. GAME ON!

There are a few reasons to be extra excited about this release:

• First book in the Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies series to feature an African-American protagonist
• First book in the Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies series to be written by an African-American
• Features a multicultural cast of characters in a contemporary setting

Sounds cool, huh?

Well let's learn a bit more about Debbie Rigaud, the author!


Debbie Rigaud began her writing career covering news and entertainment for magazines—namely, Seventeen, Twist and CosmoGIRL!. She’s interviewed celebs, politicians and other social figures, but enjoyed interviewing “real” girls the most. A total Jersey girl at heart, Debbie lives in Bermuda with her husband.

Of course, I also interviewed Debbie to get the full low-down on PERFECT SHOT and her writing inspirations!

Q: Please tell us what your new book is about and what inspired you to write it.

Debbie: PERFECT SHOT follows what happens after high school volleyball player London Abrams impulsively signs up for a modeling contest as an excuse to meet Brent, the cute photo intern collecting contest applications. When she gets a call back from contest judges instead, London soon finds herself feeling out of her league in a fierce modeling competition. And Brent is there documenting every awkward moment on his camera.

PERFECT SHOT was fun to write because I've always been fascinated by how the most uncomfortable, fish-out-of-water experiences shape a person. And I love that these characters are ambitious, enterprising teens who are pursuing their passions.

Q: If there was a soundtrack for your book what are five songs that would be on it and how do they relate the story?

Debbie: 1) Santigold's remix to "You'll Find a Way" in one scene, we find out that London?s ringtone is a Santigold song. I imagine London to be a fan--plus, this song has the perfect energy for the volleyball game scenes; 2) During London's first photo shoot, "Click Flash" by Ciara is blaring from the speakers; 3) In (dis)honor of Rick, London's ex, probably something by old school hip hop giant Slick Rick. I'd go with "Hey Young World" because it's an ode to go-getters like London; 4). "Google Me" by Teyana Taylor for two reasons: Teyana was my style muse for London, and because London gains a cyber presence when she's featured in an online mag; 5). And because deep down, London is a true romantic, I'll go with Taylor Swift's "Love Story."

Q: Who were some of your inspirations to become a writer or the inspirations that keep you writing? Feel free to include other authors, teachers, parents, or people in other creative fields, whoever is an inspiration to you!

Debbie: The women in my family--especially my mother, godmother and grandmother--are my inspiration. They are all such talented, witty storytellers! I grew up listening to vivid tales about their childhood in Haiti and their young adulthood in Brooklyn. And at each family gathering, my godmother (a great aunt) would read to us the most heartfelt speeches she'd written to mark the occasion. I plan to keep this tradition going with the books and short stories I hope to continue publishing.

Q: Even though music plays in so heavily into my storytelling, I rarely can actually listen to it while I'm writing. Can you? How does music fit into your writing process?

Debbie: Yes, I can listen to it while I'm writing but I don't always need it. I find that jazz, classical or "meditation" music helps keep me focused as I write. Other times, I let R&B tunes play on low volume in the background, which I find energizing. But I have to be careful not to get distracted, because some of those songs make me want to get up and say, "Oooo, that's my jam!"

Q: What is next for you? What are you working on now?

Debbie: Another romantic comedy is in the works, but I'm also working on a paranormal story. I love all things paranormal and I also appreciate a good fantasy from time to time. :-)

Debbie sounds like a very cool gal (I love her family filled with storytelling women!) and her book sounds amazing. Go check it out this weekend!

2 comments:

Debbie Rigaud said...

It was great chatting with you, Stephanie. Thanks! :-)

Annika said...

Nice interview! Sounds like a very cool book.